Monday, February 2, 2009

Caelan's "would have been" birthday

Today marks Caelan's "would have been" first birthday. As we were anticipating this day, waves of emotions came over us. It is indeed going to be an emotional day yet we need to move on. As much as we would love to throw a big party to remember Caelan, I am physically and mentally not capable at this point. We have chosen to quietly and slowly let the day lead us. God has been challenging me with a verse for the last week: "Be still, and know that I am God." I am very much meditated on this and working on the "BE STILL" part which you all know how difficult that might be for me. I think I need to quietly absorb all the sadness and remember all the good times we had with Caelee alone as a family. I think it will be essential for our family unit to be still tonight and to appreciate the beauty of simplicity.

If you would kindly join us in prayers and if possible light a candle wherever you are around 7 to 11, Tommy and I would be very grateful for your support. Caelan was borned at 10:02pm last Feb 2 and I was in the hospital from 7pm for the labour. That was a wonderful time. The anticipation of Caeleebee's arrival into the world was priceless. Caelan was also found at 7:30pm at home by Tommy on Sept 8 and was taken away by the coroner by 11pm that night. That was a life-turned-upside down time for us. The loss of Caeleebee to SIDS was costly. As we observe Caelan's birthday, please remember each one of us in your prayer.

We also started a new blog http://cheung5family.blogspot.com on our family's daily lives. The fun simple things that we are thankful. All the lovely unexpected joy the children bring us. A place where our children and our friends can share and know that God is in control. He takes good care of us even though we are overwhelmed with the sadness of the loss.


* Many of you have asked before whether we have set up a memorial fund for Baby Caelan. We have been prayerfully considering different options. If you feel comfortable with this suggestion, we would ask for your contributions to our children's school, John Knox Christian School registered as Burnaby Christian Association of Burnaby. When Evan started school, God in His amazing and amusing way gave us a precious surprise gift. We found out we would be expecting Caelan. Evan’s teacher and classmates anticipated Caelan’s arrival and were all very excited for us about our new family addition. During the first few months of his life, Caelan was very much a part of Evan’s class. I would take him twice a week to volunteer reading with the class. Caelan enjoyed many hours in my arms listening to other children reading their books. Evan often shared stories about his baby brother and brought Caelan in as show and tell. Caelan was even part of the props used during Evan’s family project. Those are fond memories. Caelan was always met with joy and love at John Knox. We looked forward to seeing all four of our children growing up here. The continuous care and support of the staff have been Godsend and we know in our hearts that all our children, including Caelan, are treasured and loved. Please see link for information on their urgent needs and methods in which you can donate:

http://www.johnknoxbc.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=54. Please write "In memory of Caelan Alexander Cheung" in the memo line. Thank you for honouring our son in this special way.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this grief blog. Flora, it is very courageous of you to blog your thoughts and feelings during these difficult times. We've been deeply touched by Caelan's life and passing. We will join you tonight for prayer and candle lighting.

    Winnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Auntie, Uncle & Family,
    I pray that God will take care of all of you, give you comfort & reassurance and calm your unsettled hearts.

    ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flora, Tommy & Family: We share your grief, and join you in prayer, as well as lit candles for remembrance.

    Roger & Celine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Flora and Tommy for allowing us all to share the grieving with you. We have lit our candles for our Caelan. Happy Birthday Caelan. When I am weak and sad, I look upon you two as my earthly mentor as you have shown so much courage in dealing with your pain. All my problems seem so small compare to yours. Thanks for sharing. We love this song - CRJE

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flora, Tommy, Evan, Aidan and Logan

    We are so sorry for your lost. Though we have not seen each other for a long time, I am deeply sadden that you and your family had experience a loss of a precious child. My heart aches for you and words cannot describe the sadness I feel. I will be praying for you and your family. Happy Birthday Caelan.

    God Bless,
    Annie, Lap, Brennen, and Ella

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tommy & Flora

    We share your grief and our hearts are shattered over the loss of your dear Caelan. We have joined you in prayers and lit candles to celebrate the life of Caelan…

    Wilfred & Carmen

    ReplyDelete